Sample Social Media Posts
- We're so excited to be part of #401Gives! Are YOU with us? Help us celebrate R.I.'s nonprofit community on April 1.
- Mark your calendars for April 1. We're participating in #401Gives, R.I.'s largest statewide day of giving. Visit https://www.401gives.org to learn more.
- We know that Rhode Islanders are full of generosity — and we think everyone else should too. Help us celebrate R.I.'s spirit of giving on #401Gives.
- We’re getting pumped for #401Gives! Join the conversation by following @401Gives and liking the 401Gives page on Facebook.
- Set your alarms for a few minutes earlier on April 1 — #401Gives kicks off at 6 a.m. Get ready to get up and give!
- A little goes a long way when we get together and give together. Join us on April 1 for #401Gives. It's more than a day. It's a movement.
- Knock knock! Who's there? It's @BCBSRI and @FMGlobal, Wave Sponsors for #401Gives! Thank them by making a gift on April 1.
- We ❤ math. $50 to your favorite participating nonprofit + $50 from @RIFoundation = $100. Give early to take advantage of RIF's $50,000 in matching funds!
- Are YOU ready to be part of #401Gives? On April 1, we're celebrating the amazing work of R.I.'s nonprofit community. Join us!
- Save the date: #401Gives is on April 1. Join us by giving to your favorite nonprofit (which we know is us!). Visit https://www.401gives.org to learn more.
- It's time to show the world that Rhode Islanders are full of generosity. On #401Gives, help us celebrate R.I.'s spirit of giving.
- Want to join the largest statewide day of giving in R.I. history? Like the #401Gives page and follow @401Gives on Twitter to learn how.
- Attention, early risers: #401Gives starts at 6 a.m. on April 1. If you're not a morning person, don't worry... you'll have 24 hours to give!
- The real success of #401Gives won't be how much money we raise — it'll be the impact those dollars make when nonprofits put them to work. Join the giving on April 1!
- What do @BCBSRI and @insurerFMGlobal have in common? They're both Wave Sponsors for #401Gives! Show your appreciation by making a gift on April 1.
- Double your impact! @RhodeIslandFoundation will match the first $50,000 raised for participating nonprofits on #401Gives. Give early to get in on the match!
Looking to get the word out with Facebook? This guide will help you get started and on the road to creating a successful strategy. If you’re new to Facebook, start by creating a Facebook Page for your organization.
Below is a list of ways you can begin engaging your community for #401Gives!
Get started by liking the 401Gives page. This will allow you to get updates, important information and tips for 401Gives. Also link to other participating organizations from your organization’s page.
Promote your Facebook page. Include a link to your Facebook page on your website’s homepage, newsletters, emails...basically everywhere and anywhere. Ask your staff members, board members, volunteers, and donors to like the page and help you promote it.
In your personal account, tag the page and ask your Facebook friends to check it out. Ask employees and board members to do the same.
Talk it up! Post interesting information about your organization and share success stories and photos. Ask your followers questions to engage them in dialogue. Remember to keep posts brief! You don’t want to lose your audience by presenting lengthy updates.
Tell everyone that your organization is participating in 401Gives. Be sure to tell people what it is all about by using some of the suggested messaging above. Let them know how they can donate and ask them to spread the word.
Create a Facebook event. Invite your constituents to be part of 401Gives so that they can be reminded as the day gets closer AND see who else is participating. Also, tell people to invite others. It doesn’t matter whether or not you are hosting an event onsite; the whole day is worth celebration!
Do all of the above and repeat...again and again and again.
Want to quickly engage donors and share information about your fundraising efforts? Twitter is instant and efficient! If you’re new to Twitter, they offer a getting started guide for newbies.
Below you will find a few tips to help you have success.
Follow @’s Twitter account. Go to www.twitter.com/ and click the Follow button. Now you can begin receiving and sharing information about 401Gives.
Follow other organizations and people. The organizations you follow should be those that you work with or who inspire you and your constituents. You may also consider following past donors, board members, volunteers and other community leaders.
Tell your followers that you are participating in #401Gives. Tell your followers about your campaign and begin to build a story around the initiatives you’d like to support. Let them know about any incentive prizes you are trying to win and how they can help you do so. Use some of the suggested tweets provided.
Use Hashtags and Handles. Whenever you share information include the @ handle and #401Gives to further spread your organization’s words. Show that you are a part of 401Gives by using the hashtag in all of your tweets. People who are interested in a particular event, person or business will follow the hashtag to stay up-to-date on any conversations around their topic of interest.
Don’t just follow! Become a part of the conversation. Let people know that you are out there and engaged. Respond to tweets like you are holding a conversation. You never know where this may lead.
Share pictures, videos and interesting content. Twitter is not just about your ‘words’. Pictures and videos draw people in, and sharing interesting articles about what you and others are doing shows that you are part of a community.
- 10 Twitter Best Practices for Nonprofits
- 10 Twitter Tips for Nonprofits
- 12 Types of Tweets Your Nonprofit Should be Sharing
Tweet, retweet and tweet again! (Especially on the day of 401Gives)
Looking to harness the power of visual communication? Take advantage of the ability to communicate with your potential supporters with impactful images and catchy captions. Never used Instagram? Check out Instagram’s “Getting Started on Instagram” guide to setup your account now!
Here’s your Instagram checklist:
Follow on Instagram. Head to www.instagram.com/ to “Follow” the activity around 401Gives.
Connect your Instagram and Facebook accounts. Make sure that your Instagram posts are automatically posted on Facebook. Connecting Facebook and Instagram harnesses the power of both social media platforms at once and allows you to reach a wider audience.
Find powerful images. People-centric, positive images will help you draw in new followers. Focus on sharing images that speak to your organization’s mission and your target audience. Canva.com is a great way to take your own photographs or a stock image to the next level. If you want to include important dates, statistics, or quotes, Canva lets you add text right on top of the image as well as providing you with a suite of photo editing tools.
Socialize! Like your supporters’ posts, and consider re-sharing posts that stand out and speak to your cause. Showcasing the stories and individuals that propel your organization’s mission will help you gain more followers, recognition, and traction in advance of the day. Also take this opportunity to cross-promote by liking and re-sharing other organizations’ posts to boost your visibility in Rhode Island community.
Use the #401Gives hashtags, in addition to other creative hashtags. 3-5 hashtags per post is the sweet spot. Start with a branded or specific hashtag--like a tagline or fun phrase. Follow this with the name of your organization, then a broader hashtag tied to your cause (#savinglives, #endinghomelessness, #spreadingthelove). Having a succession of hashtags helps with branding! Don’t forget to include #401Gives
Create a regular schedule for posting. We recommend posting at least 2-3 times per week to stay in your supporters feeds! If you integrate your Instagram posts with Facebook, you’ll want to consider how your Instagram posts will fit in with your other scheduled Facebook posts. Consider making posts that show a chronological history - such as building a playground or rehabbing an animal back to health.
Host an activity. Photo contests are a great way to include your supporters and make your posts more interactive! “Tag a friend” posts, ask your supporters to tag a friend in a post that you’d like to gain more traction in. Offer an incentive to encourage more participation! “Take-Over” Ask a staff member or supporter to take over your Instagram for a week. This allows you to showcase the individuals that make up your unique community, how they embody your mission, and what your organization means to them. “Take-Overs” can help show the impact your organization has on the community!
Have fun! Instagram is a really playful platform, and the perfect opportunity to let the unique personalities, humor and convictions of your organization shine through your photos, captions and hashtags! Instagram is a fantastic opportunity to relate to your supporters, showing them who you are and what you stand for.